Tuesday, March 22, 2011

* Hamburgers *

Have you ever seen this cookbook?Heathe gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago and I'm finally starting to get some use out of it. Basically, it's a cookbook that teaches you how to hide vegetables in yummy food...great for my kids AND me (because I really don't like vegetables). The book teaches you how to cook, puree, portion, and sneak the veggies into semi-normal meals. One of my favorite parts of the book is the informational part. It talks about each vegetable, what vitamins/minerals/healthy stuff it has in it and what good that can do for our bodies...it's actually pretty fun to read.

This week in our BB (Bountiful Basket) we got a huge head of cauliflower--eew. Luckily, this book is full of recipes that you can add cauliflower to! Yesterday we made the "Burgers 1" recipe and it was surprisingly good! My 2 year old just gobbled it up. My husband noticed a difference but at least it tasted better than straight cauliflower, right? I changed the recipe just a little bit to fit my family's tastes and the ingredients I had on hand but overall, it's pretty similar

* Hamburgers *1 lb. ground beef (original recipe called for ground turkey)
1/2 c. bread crumbs (I used quick oats)
1/2 c. cauliflower puree (it also says you can use carrot puree)
1/4 c. milk
1/2 envelope onion soup mix (not in original recipe)
2 T. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic (I used garlic powder)
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 buns

Mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, puree, milk, soy sauce, and spices together. Form into 8 patties. Cook on preheated grill until the insides are no longer pink. Serve on buns with all the fixings.

The author (Jessica Seinfeld--Jerry Seinfeld's wife) actually cooked hers in a skillet on the stove but we are so excited for spring that we dusted off the outdoor grill.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love this cookbook! It's actually where I got all the instructions for cooking and pureeing my baby food. I haven't actually put the purees in food for a long time, though. I need to start doing it again.