Wednesday, February 16, 2011

* Crockpot Fajitas *

We got some orange bell peppers in our Bountiful Basket last week and I am not a pepper person. I decided that I need to get over my childish fear of "gross foods" and planned to make fajitas. I found this recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking (awesome crockpot recipes, by the way). I did not have a packaged fajita seasoning mix so I found this fajita seasoning recipe online and it was great!

*Fajita Seasoning Mix*
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
2 ½ tsp crushed chicken bouillon cube
1 ½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp cumin

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture in a small glass or plastic air tight container and store in a cool, dry place. 2 Tbsp. = 1 Seasoning Packet

*Crockpot Fajitas*2 lbs of thin sliced beef (I used round steak because we have a lot of it but usually it's made with flank steak...pretty much any steak would work though)
1 packet of fajita seasoning mix
1 onion
2 bell peppers
1/2 cup of water

Dump your meat into the crockpot. It can be frozen or thawed. Cut the onion and the peppers in strips, and add to the crock. Add the seasoning and water. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 6. The meat is done when it reaches desired tenderness.

We really enjoyed this meal! The only thing that some may not like is that the peppers and onions are cooked really well...so well that they pretty much blend in with the meat and you can't really tell they are there. That was great for a pepper-hater like myself but for someone who loves the crunch of the vegetables, I'd suggest adding them in later...maybe a few hours before you plan to serve it.

No comments: