Tuesday, January 11, 2011

* Sweet and Sour Meatballs *

We have a lot of ground beef...which is awesome! My in-laws are cattle ranchers and are so nice to give us beef to last us throughout the year--I married well :) So you might notice that I have and will continue to share lots of beef recipes. Here's one of my "go to" recipes when I can't think of what to make. I got this recipe from a young women's leader when I was in high school--super easy!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs (I use quick oats...they work the same but add more fiber)
1/4 c. milk
2 T. finely chopped onion (If I don't have an onion, I'll just add onion powder)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. worchestershire sauce
1 egg

Combine ingredients into bowl. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls (I use my handy dandy cookie scooper thingy...does anyone know what I'm talking about?) Then cook either on the stove top over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown (about 20 minutes) -or- bake on cookie sheet in the oven at 400* for 20-25 minutes (I usually bake them).

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1 can pineapple chunks (approx. 14 oz)
1/3 c. vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 small green pepper, chopped (I NEVER add this, mostly because I hate peppers)

When the meatballs are close to done cooking, mix the brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet. Stir in the pineapple with syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat, add meatballs, cover, and simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add green pepper and cover and simmer about 5 more minutes (of if you don't use the green pepper, just let it simmer for 15 minutes.) Serve with rice.

No comments: