Wednesday, January 19, 2011

* Hobo Dinners *

Sorry for the lack of new recipes last week. I had a few new recipes that I was pretty excited to try out last week and I even typed them up because I was so sure they were going to be delicious...and they weren't. I was pretty bummed. I obviously did not want to put them on here because who wants a crappy recipe, right!?!

This recipe is one of our favorites! So easy and fun...perfect for my hubby who is a meat-and-potato kind of guy. You can cook them on a campfire, on your grill, or in your oven! And I always feel like we're camping when I eat these...even though we rarely camp :)

Hobo (or Tin Foil) Dinners1 lb ground beef
1 small-medium potato per person, peeled and cut into small cubes or slices
1 can corn (can use frozen corn or mixed veggies)
1 large carrot (I just cut up a bunch of baby carrots)
seasoned salt
butter or margarine
salt and pepper

Split the ground beef in to 4-5 pieces and form into patties (Sometimes I just do straight ground beef and other times I add a little worchestershire sauce, egg, bread crumbs, and onion soup mix to the beef...depending on how much time I have or how ornery the kids are :) ) Tear 4-5 good sized sheets of foil (12-14 inches long) to pack your hobo dinner in. Place one hamburger patty in the center of each foil sheet.Places potatos and vegetables next to the meat. Put a pat of butter on top of potatoes and vegetables. Season everything with seasoned salt and salt and pepper (my husband also really likes canadian steak seasoning on his...not my favorite...which is why I label our foil packs with a Sharpie). Bring foil ends up and fold over until 2-3 inches from the meat, then fold up the sides.For fire or grill...after 15-20 minutes, carefully remove the packs with tongs and open each foil pack (it will be very hot). Cut into hamburger to check for doneness.

For oven...preheat oven to 350*. Place Hobo Dinners on cookies sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes. (I usually cook them in the oven)

No comments: