Monday, December 5, 2011

* Tomato Tortellini Soup *

This soup rocks! It's a gourmet tomato soup and would still be perfect with grilled cheese sandwiches...or paninis (don't they sound gourmet too?)
The first time I had this soup was at our Relief Society Souper Saturday and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally found a recipe for it on Pinterest (recipe here) and we thoroughly enjoyed after church yesterday. I had to make a few ingredient changes and I also let it cook in the crockpot.

* Tomato Tortellini (or ravioli) Soup *
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (I didn't have sun-dried tomatoes so I just used a can of drained stewed tomatoes)1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

Cook tortellini (or ravioli) according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven (or crockpot), combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. (I just threw it all in the crockpot and let it cook on low for 4-5 hours) Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.

Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

1 comment:

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

This looks really good, I can hardly wait to add it to my soup collection!