Monday, October 3, 2011

* Buttermilk Caramel Syrup *

One weekend while visting my parents, they made us a delicious breakfast of Gingerbread pancakes with Buttermilk Caramel Syrup. They recieved the recipe at a food storage enrichment night from Liesa Card, author of "I Dare You To Eat It" (she blogs here at this site). This recipe is SO SO yummy! You have to try it! It is worth the extra effort (because if you know me, you know I use the store bought Western Family maple syrup) and you won't be disappointed!

* Buttermilk Caramel Syrup*
3/4 cup buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk so I used the substitution of 3/4 c. whole milk plus 3/4 T. lemon juice)
1/2 cup butter (I used margarine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
Place first five ingredients in extra large saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for 7 minutes (mixture will foam like crazy), stirring to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

My syrup was a bit thinner and less caramelly than my mom's. I know it is because I used the margarine and the buttermilk substitution but it was still SO GOOD--although I think the real version is better.

No comments: