Friday, October 5, 2012

* Cream Cheese Chicken Wontons & Sweet and Sour Sauce *

These deep fried nuggets of goodness are my favorite...so unhealthy but so delicious!  We only have them occassionally because they aren't super great for you and I hate deep frying things in our house because it makes it smell gross but these are totally worth the day of oily smelling house! 

This isn't really a recipe--I got the idea after a girl's night when someone brought plain cream cheese wontons.  I starting thinking about how adding meat automatically makes it a meal, right?  And then these were born.

* Cream Cheese Chicken Wontons *
1/3 block of cream cheese
3-4 chicken tenderloins, cooked and shredded (I season mine with garlic salt and onion powder)
1/2 package of wonton wrappers (about 25)
oil for frying

Season, cook, and shred chicken and set aside. Lay out wonton wrappers on counter.  Cut 1/3 block of cream cheese into equal pieces.  Place a piece of cream cheese on the center each wonton wrapper and top with chicken (no exact amount-just whatever looks like it will fit in the wrapper).

Start heating up your oil.  I've read to heat it to 350* but I just drop a drop of water in and if it bubbles, it's ready.

To fold the wonton, brush a little water over all of the edges of the wonton skin.  I then fold the wrapper diagonally into a triangle and press the edges well to seal.  I then take the two furthest ends and fold them in to meet in the middle.  You can fold them however you want...get creative :)  Just make sure the edges are sealed well so the filling doesn't come out.

Drop wontons into the preheated oil 4-5 at a time.  Allow to fry until lightly browned.  Remove with slotted spoon (or whatever you use when you deep fry) and place on a paper towel covered plate to let the excess grease drain off.

I serve these with fried rice (I ususally use this recipe but I didn't in this picture) and a side of the sweet and sour sauce recipe listed below (not pictured).  These would also be yummy appetizers!

* Sweet and Sour Sauce *

3/4 cup white sugar 
1/3 cup white vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
2/3 cup water 
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup


Place the sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, ketchup and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.
Recipe found here

No comments: