Wednesday, August 10, 2011

* Zucchini Fritters *

Wow...two zucchini recipes in one week. I never thought that would happen. I don't really care for zucchini and neither does my hubby. Don't ask me why he has 5 zucchini plants growing in our garden. I usually have to hide it in something...think bread, brownies, cookies, etc. I saw this recipe and it actually sounded good to me--weird, I know. And guess what! It was actually good! Even my picky almost-three-year-old loved it and ate 1 1/2 of them! I found this recipe here at Real Mom Kitchen. She is having a "Zucchini Week" this week so go check out her recipes!

* Zucchini Fritters *
2 cups grated zucchini squash
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 small onion, finely chopped (I just sprinkled onion powder generously over the top)
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 egg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place zucchini inside a tea towel or flour sack towel and squeeze out excess moisture. (I forgot this step and it still turned out yummy!)
In a bowl, add zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients. The mixture with be sticky and thick. Continue to stir, it will thin down. You want it to look like a thick cake batter.
On a parchment lined baking sheet, divide batter into 6 mounds on the parchment using a spoon or ice cream scoop. Then flatten each mound with a spoon or your hand to form 4 inch rounds.
Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the fritters are deep golden brown on the bottom. Then turn to broil and place on the second highest rack in your oven. Broil on high for a few minutes, you want to crisp them up but watch carefully so they won’t burn. Serve with ranch dressing or marinara. Makes 6 fritters.

1 comment:

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

Hey, these sound good! Five zucchini plants? Is that on your to-do list for next year's garden? hahahahaha