Friday, July 29, 2011

* Soft Caramel Popcorn *

Wow...I am not doing so hot with this recipe blog, am I? Has anyone else noticed that when I do manage to post a recipe on here, all of my recipes are pretty much unhealthy and require no skill to make them? Well, the recipe I am posting today is no different :)
I was in the mood for a treat again (that happens to me all the time...no, I'm not pregnant but when 8:45pm hits around here, I NEED a treat.) Most recipes for Soft Caramel Popcorn out there require sweetened condensed milk...and it was a Sunday night and we didn't have it so I found this recipe and it was pretty good! It makes A LOT of caramel for the amount of popcorn they suggested you pour it over so I'd either add another bag of popcorn or just eat the caramel that settles on the bottom of a spoon (which is what I did).

* Soft Caramel Popcorn *
2 bags of microwave popcorn, popped, or about 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels, popped in an air popper (I'd say 3 bags...unless you want to eat just caramel at the end)
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugars and corn syrup; stir on medium heat until it comes to a boil. (Make sure the heat is not too hot - if it boils too soon, the caramel will be grainy.) Once it starts boiling, boil for 1 minute. Take off the heat and mix in the baking soda. Pour over popcorn and stir until coated.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

We are so much a like...by 9 I need my treat and a good show to watch. I guess its my "ME" time. Love this I'll have to give it a try.

Natalie said...

Ooo...soft caramel corn is SO much better than the crunchy kind. This is a lot like the recipe I have and I love it!

Natalie said...

And hey...it let me comment! Yay!

Unknown said...

Thank you no odd stuff added. Just the way we like it. Almost have up finding one. Love it