Friday, July 15, 2011

* (My In-Laws) DoritoTaco Salad *

When I think of taco salad, I usually think of chips (or a hard shell) topped with meat, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese, etc. At my in-laws, they make their taco salads different--but still good! I've seen this recipe around so I know other people eat it this way too...in fact, you can find a similar recipe here.

* Dorito Taco Salad *
1 lb. hamburger
1 can red kidney beans (I used black beans because that's all I had on hand)
1 c. grated cheese
1 head ice berg lettuce
Dorito chips
1 bottle of Thousand Island dressing (to taste...depends on how dressing-y you want it)
sliced olives
(none of these measurements has to be exact...do more of what you like and less of the stuff you don't like as much)

Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Add beans and cook for a few minutes. (You can add taco seasoning to it the beef and beans but the chips and dressing give it plenty of flavor.) Mix all ingredients together, except lettuce and chips, and allow to sit in fridge for an hour or so. Just before serving, add chips and lettuce (don't add too soon or they will be soggy) and enjoy!

When we make this, it is always too much for us to eat for one meal so we usually have it for leftovers the next day. The problem is the chips get soggy so I've started to just mix the meat, beans, cheese, and dressing together. When we're ready to eat it, we put the amount of salad we need for our own serving on our plate, top it with the meat/bean mixute, and then crumble doritos on top and it turns out just as good and a lot less soggy for future meals.

No comments: