Tuesday, October 4, 2011

* Homemade Gourmet Vegetarian Pizza *

When I worked at Papa Murphy's, there was a pizza there that I swore I'd never try. It was the Gourmet Vegetarian. It had zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, atrichoke hearts, & onions. That sounded ridiculously gross to me and I have to admit now that I WAS WRONG! Who knew that vegetables could taste so good on a pizza? (probably most of you out there) I decided to make it on my own last week and it was seriously so good! Try it out...you will enjoy it!

*Homemade Gourmet Vegetarian Pizza *(you will notice that mine does not have onions or mushrooms on it...I did not have those toppings so I didn't use them but I am sure they would've been good! Also, don't mind the pepperoni. My kids won't eat those veggies.)

pizza dough (I used my calzone pizza dough recipe...so good!)
white sauce (found in this post)
cheese (I used colby jack because that is what I had on hand. Papa Murphy's uses mozzarella on top of the sauce, and a mix of provalone and cheddar on top of the toppings, topped with parmesan cheese)
zuchinni (sliced)
artichokes (chopped into smaller pieces)
spinach--can use fresh or frozen. If using frozen, cook spinach until tender and drain.
muchrooms (sliced)
tomatoes (sliced or chopped)
onions

Make pizza dough according to recipe. Roll out onto pizza tray, sheet, or stone. Top with 1/2 c. - 3/4 c. white sauce. Top with cheese. Spread desired toppings (don't over do it on the toppings, Since they are vegetables, they have a lot of water/juice in them and too many toppings will make your pizza soggy). Top with more cheese. Bake (usually between 400* and 425*--depending on your recipe) for 12-18 minutes.

1 comment:

mitstephens said...

Hey I have been searching for a few hours for a crust that looks like what you have folded into your pizza. Is there any chance you know the name of the type of fold you did or descride to me how you did it. Thanks
BTW your photos are awesome.
Tim