Wednesday, February 1, 2012

* Cauliflower Cheese Soup *

We got a Bountiful Basket last weekend (it had been a while since we got one...since last summer when our garden starting producing) and I forgot how much I enjoy them! We got a head of cauliflower and I decided to make Cauliflower Cheese Soup (recipe found here). I was surprised at how good it was...I am not a cauliflower fan but this was pretty good! If you ever have some cauliflower to get rid of, give this a try!

* Cauliflower Cheese Soup *
1 medium cauliflower
2 cups chicken stock (I just used water and chicken boullion cubes)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup grated medium Cheddar cheese
buttered croutons for garnish

Cook cauliflower in chicken stock until tender. Do not drain. Cool a bit. Run through blender to desired texture. Set aside. Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and saute until limp. Do not brown. Mix in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Add cheese and cauliflower mixture. Stir to heat and melt cheese. Garnish with buttered croutons.

1 comment:

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

I've seen a few recipes for cauliflower soup recently and wanted to them out. Your recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for posting it!