Friday, May 6, 2011

* Churros *

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I've been in a food rut lately and I've pretty much just been making recipes that I already have on here...and lots of quesadillas. :) I'll get myself in gear and have some more recipes for you next week!

Since yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, I decided to make these churros for a fiesta I was having. They turned out pretty good but I think I cooked them a little longer than I should've. First off, I just piped them out of a regular icing piping bag with the largest tip I have (which was not very large). I was trying to cook them to "golden brown" but when they a small size like mine were, the ended up pretty crispy. About 3/4 of the way through, I realized I was overcooking them so I just cooked them to slightly brown and they were "muy bueno!" Recipe from here

* Churros *1 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
oil for frying
1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.
2. Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
3. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar mixture.

No comments: